For Dan's second attempt to get gas in Leaf Rapids, he stepped back into the glass booth and whipped out his ATM card. His credit card had previously failed the cumbersome multi-step process--as had both of mine before that.
And it worked! The machine may have drained his entire bank account--he'd find out later. But regardless, life-giving fuel was flowing through the hose! While he finished, he invited me to roll up closer and fill my tank on his "dime" too--so I wouldn't have to go through all that trouble again with my ATM card. It was an awfully nice gesture. And I gladly accepted! Besides saving me the hassle, it would get us both on the road that much quicker. And by this time, we were getting overheated out there in all our safety gear.
Yes, this is the same bridge. I wanted to show you that bad spot behind me--several huge, deep potholes in the middle of the span. It's worse than it looks from here, but I didn't want to go back. It was a good thing I always slow way down for bridges anyway. Would not have been a good location to lose control of the vehicle.
I pulled over here to let Dan catch up again--guess it was just too nice of a spot to pass up. I'm sure I had something I needed to take care of as well. He'll be coming over that rise shortly.
The 65-mile stretch from Leaf Rapids to Lynn Lake was all marked as paved on my map. The part you can see here was quite nice, but there were many gravel sections scattered throughout it as well.
There he is. Well, his trike anyway. He's probably taking his own photo from behind me. Notice the evidence of a recent downpour in that wide-bottomed ditch. Besides the wildfires, we knew that flooding had also been a problem recently. And the sky didn't look promising currently either. The odds of making it to what we'd affectionately come to call K-Town were not really in our favor. I tried not to let that dampen my enthusiasm for the journey, but Dan's always been better at that than me.
This is the view toward the rest of town from my spot at the pump. Judging by the appearance of that boarded up building on the right, taxis here have not been an option for quite a while.
But we were fortunate that anything was open. On the day we passed through, Lynn Lake's residents had only been back in their homes for 10 days--after a mandatory evacuation that had begun near the end of June. A wildfire had been heading for town, and officials didn't think it could be protected. But it was.
This is the short side street heading away from the ESSO. What you can see is all there is to that edge of town.
Leaving the gas station, we continued southwest past a handful of commercial buildings on each side of the street. I've no idea what this one is, with the fading forest mural. But someone spent a lot of time on it--on a very tall ladder.
This shot over my shoulder shows most of downtown. Not much was going on. But as I've said, it was Sunday.
Back to the direction we were heading, the single story on the right (behind the light pole) is the post office. And beyond the group of trees after that is the junction with our road to K-Town.
We took a right instead--for Kinoosao and the airport. Doubt they have any direct flights home, however. We'd best be careful with the transportation we'd brought with us.
Just past the airstrip, the road turned to gravel (as we knew it would), and we entered another recent burn. Encouragingly, the surface was fairly well maintained. But would it stay that way for 60 miles? And what about those gathering clouds? So many questions. But let's be honest. Remaining in Lynn Lake was not a tempting option. And Floyd was expecting us!
No comments:
Post a Comment